Name Nickelodeon Streak Former Name Roller Coaster Opened 1933 Replaced Velvet Coaster Designer Charles Paige Height 61ft
Charles Paige began working on this roller coaster early in 1933, it would replace the Velvet Coaster that had opened in 1909. Elements of the former ride were reused – although all track was new as the Velvet Coaster was a side friction roller coaster.
During construction, the ride was referred to in the press as the ‘New Velvet Coaster’, however upon opening it was known simply as ‘Roller Coaster’. The ride is a classic ‘out and back’ roller coaster, with the famed ‘aeroplane dip’ before the turnaround. The ride hugs the park boundaries, with Watson Road to the north and Bond Street to the east.
❓Did You Know❓
As the name suggests, the park was built on the actual beach - after 125+ years of development, there are only a few places where the sand can still be seen. These include in the Flying Machine motor room, under the Nickelodeon Streak station and in the pit of the Big Dipper dive under the path at 'Star Hill'.
With the introduction of Nickelodeon Land in 2011, the ride (along with the Zipper Dipper) was given a new lease of life and incorporated into the new area.
As part of the transformation, the station area was refreshed, the train was given a new streamlined facia and the traditional white lattice structure was repainted in trademark Nickelodeon orange. It was also given a new name and now operates as the Nickelodeon Streak.