"Reds at North. Yellows at South ..."
Leonard Thompson saw the Von Roll cableway at the Brussels Expo of 1958 and decided it would be a great fit for the Pleasure Beach.
Opened in 1960, the Cableway served a dual purpose. Since the construction of Watson Road, the park had been divided into two parts – the ride allowed guests to move from one end of the park to the other, without having to cross over the road. Secondly, the elevated journey provided unrivalled views of the park from end to end.
❓Did You Know❓
Leonard Thompson was inspired to build the Cableway after seeing the concept at the Brussels World Fair of 1958.
During the Fun House fire of December 1991, the intense heat from the blaze melted the steel cable. The Cableway reopened during the 1992 season and operated until 2000 when it was retired.
Although the ride is now gone, both the stations still exist. The lower floors of the north station now contain Loki’s Bar – these were renovated & themed during the construction of Valhalla. The southern station now houses toilet facilities.